Reporting to the President/CEO and the COO, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee. The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $4 million.
The Controller will ensure that NYCR has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program directors, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
To Be Successful,
The Controller must possess excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, stay focused, and meet deadlines. There is a need to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities, and comfortable working with a diverse range of people and skill levels. You not only need to anticipate the needs of the office and individual staff, but have the ability to work independently and as part of a team as needed. You have an ability to receive feedback. You thrive in a fast-paced environment. This role requires exceptional discretion. The ideal candidate is a clear, concise and egoless communicator.
Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provide financial advice to Leadership Team.
- Provide monthly financial reports to Leadership Team including Balance Sheet, Income Statement and cash projections of rolling 6 months forward.
- Compliance with NY and NJ.
- Monitor cash position, manage Line of Credit activity, review and approve accounting functions (Quick Books activity, payroll, vendor bills, bank deposits, bank reconciliation).
- Supervise, mentor and collaborate with Finance Assistant.
- Provide trend analysis of revenue and expenses. Provide defined reports for Development Department.
- Manage relationships with vendors and banks.
- Insurance Management: liability, vehicle and health insurance.
- Prepare annual budget in coordination with other departments.
- Annual audit—communicate with auditor and provide required information, discuss and review with auditor.
- Annual 990 report—provide required information to auditor and review for proper reported data.
- Provide reports to Board of Directors quarterly meetings.
Reports to Chief Operations Officer.
Skills and Experience,
Solid computer skills. Experience with QuickBooks, email, databases, Microsoft 365, Excel, Google Docs/Calendar; quick learner of new computer software.
Bachelor’s Degree and/or relevant prior experience. Experience in accounting. Prior non-profit experience.
All staff participates in regular Tuesday morning meetings for a time of worship, prayer, discipleship, and organizational updates. These are key times of community building, deepening relationships, and accountability that create a culture of interdependence. Each staff member is expected to periodically lead times of prayer or Bible study.
Work schedule and Benefits,
Monday to Friday, 9AM to 5 PM. Generous paid vacation package. Health Insurance provided. Paid sick time and personal days. Paid maternity and paternity Leave.
New York City Relief is a Christian ministry that has been helping the homeless in the NYC metro area for over 29 years. NYCR consists of two outreach models; The Relief Bus and The Relief Co-op. We are customized, mobile resource centers for people struggling with homelessness. We serve delicious soup and fresh Portuguese rolls to draw people in and make friends. Once staff and volunteers build trust, we try to connect our guests to shelter, job training/employment, medical help, drug/alcohol rehabilitation and a relationship with Jesus Christ.
To submit cover letter, resume and request application:
- Email: email@example.com
- 295 Walnut Street. Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Director of Development
New York City Relief is seeking a dynamic, energetic and passionate development professional to contribute to the development, planning and implementation of strategies to secure gift funding from individuals, corporations, and foundations in support of the organization. Opportunities exist for collaboration, relationship building and coordination of donor cultivation and development of proposals and solicitations of gifts and/or grants, at the major and principal gift levels ($50,000 and above).
Create fundraising goals and develop a comprehensive fundraising plan
Identify new funding sources and maintain and grow relationships with current and potential donors
Prepare, produce and analyze fundraising campaign progress and results
Plan, develop, write and manage online fundraising campaigns through email and social media platforms
Collect, analyze and manage Development data systems
Form deep working relationships with all Senior Leaders
Personally identify, cultivate and solicit major gifts
Furnish support and direction to the Board
Hire, train and manage all additional development staff
Administer the department’s annual operating budget
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Thrive in an environment of growth and change
Make complex decisions, problem-solve and serve as an effective team member
7-10 years of relevant experience in fundraising, preferably in a management role
Demonstrated experience and success in building donor base through email and social media efforts
Experience using Donor Perfect or comparable digital platform, MS Office Suite, Mac OS
Excellent analytical skills
Strong attention to detail
Highly organized, strategic and methodical
Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills
Experience with membership structures
Flexibility to occasionally attend events or perform duties outside of normal work hours.
Donor Database Specialist
New York City Relief is looking to fill an immediate need with the addition of a new Donor Database Specialist to our staff. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated Donor Database Specialist, with a strong background using Donor Perfect and/or Salesforce, to gain valuable work experience and further their career.
The Donor Database Specialist will:
- Facilitate the gifts process as it pertains to check, credit card, online, stock, wire transfer and recurring gifts
- Assist in the maintenance of the database by following data standards, standardizing the data from other systems used by the school, importing data, and working on data clean-up projects
- Manage various data requests within the Development Office; export data from Donor Perfect to create mailing lists, email lists donor lists and reports
- Enter and update membership levels and expiration dates and facilitate the reconciliation of the membership information
- Serve as the staff point person to Donor Perfect’s NetCommunity. Creates pages for online giving and event registration
- Produce monthly revenue and other goal-based, analytical, and tracking reports
- Develop and deliver custom reports especially for Major and Planned Gifts
- Assist with all data needs for special events, including annual gala, donor receptions, briefings, etc.
- Prepare specialized reports and lists related to event invitations, attendance, and giving, as assigned
- Handle other duties, as needed
- 2+ years of experience in a Fundraising and/or Nonprofit setting
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- Working knowledge of Donor Perfect or another comparable relational database (Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge)
- Computer savvy
- Microsoft Office/Suite proficient (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Solid problem solving and time management skills
- Great interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Working knowledge of Donor Perfect or online giving